In the current companies, almost everything is studied, analyzed and evaluated and there are few variables left tochance. It seems incredible, but even today; it happens in many companies (large and small) decisions are taken just to be taken. Managers or those most responsible for the final decisions, often make the strategic decisions or business orientation at them will and whim rather than stick with what common sense or his colleagues suggest. Unfortunately, this practice leads to lack of control, loss, frustration and in many cases the closure of the company. Decide without thinking tends to be expensive. In the XXI century, with all the advances available, apply in the daily management of the companies the natural and logical, like common sense, sometimes become somethingunthinkable and utopic.
How hard is to get carried away by the logic? It seems that in many cases it is. They want to invent what has already been invented and discover new names and processes to manage differently the future of the company and its human capital. When the common sense is not applied in the daily management of the companies, the greatest damage that is produced is the demotivation of the staff that fights every day for the future. Every time a lesser extent, belonging to a company is a source of pride among its workers. Common sense (unfortunately) tends to be very rare. Adding anextra ingredient, the ECONOMIC VALUE, you get a valuable tool for business decision. If when you are making a decision on the company you use this tool, it will give in a very natural way, greater competitiveness and efficiency to our company.
Every company is strengthened and triumphs through common sense. As Napoleon Bonaparte said: «to succeed it is necessary, above all, common sense». Common sense is a sensible logic, practical reasoning and the simpleevidence to solve problems. Its application is demonstrated with practical wisdom, without much sophistication, but extremely useful. The way we were taught to do certain things become common until someone finds a simpler or better way to do them. By using common sense many benefits are obtained as: changes in the way we do some things, aninsightful look of the change it is understood and maintained, you get a tune with life (knowing what is right and wrong) and increases employee engagement. Who acts with common sense teaches to have:
- A practice mind and a healthy logic: some principles and ways of doing things are absorbed rather than learned consciously. You learn more imitating than with formal education. In some ways, what others do (only if it is right) becomes a source of tested experience.
- An open mind: even being familiar with the processes and methodologies of the companies, we have to keep an open mind or the permanent attitude to accept the new and the changes.
The points that have to be respected in order to introduce the common sense in the companies and strengthen themare:
- Accept changes or adjustments that common sense suggests as we are acting. It is true that no company can survive without being part of a plan, but it cannot be so rigid that it do not listen his heart suggesting common sense things. The plans made without the common sense are like laws without mercy or life without forgiveness.
- Maintain contact with reality. When losing common sense, you lose contact with reality. The common sense helps in maintaining the equilibrium. You have to think twice and for sure you will be acting with common sense.
- Do what you know is right, that’s common sense. The opposite of common sense is stupidity. A proverb says:The man who leads out of common sense goes to die.
- Learn to thin practically. Not always education provides common sense. Sometimes the received education is so much that you cannot think practically. With common sense you achieve the credibility of others.
- Go beyond the ordinary and usual. Avoid stagnate in a medium that tends you to be mediocre, or corrupt. Kick those barriers, use the common sense.
Life was not created to be complicated. When we depart from common sense, simplicity disappears and things get lost in the shuffle. There are moments in life when we lose the balance between its different aspects. It is possible that our minds are under a lot of pressure because we are too busy or growing very fast. Intuition and gut feelings are manifestations of common sense; we must be sensitive to these shows that are our common sense.
The responsibility for bringing common sense into the companies is from the business leaders. Do not be carried away by personal attitudes, be open to the change, think that there is no eternal reason, accept different opinions, seek the opinion of those partners who know the subject best, see what happens in the environment, recognize mistakes and failures, etc. All this is not only positive, also is simple and easy if you search, mean and aim to ensure that in the company prevails something as simple, easy and familiar to all, but of a strange and complex absence in many companies, as is called the COMMON SENSE. Although you all know that old Spanish proverb that says: Common sense is the least common of the senses.
Managers need to be leaders … There are many definitions of leadership, but none of them meets all the implicit requirements involved in its task. Of these, the best definition (in my opinion) of the character and spirit required by a leader of a company are these: “leader is the person who surrounds himself with leaders”; “leader is someone whosurrounds himself with people that tells the truth” and, last but not least, “leader is a person who knows and applies common sense in its management”.
Leave A Comment